Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Denied

The difficulty in being able to see a rheumatologist has been immense. I am lucky to have free health care, but it is a difficult system to be within, especially with a chronic health condition. There are 2 establishments that will take CMSP and I was denied twice at UC Davis, and today I found out I was denied at UCSF.

The reason?

They don't treat people with fibro.

I know.

It's insane! The very doctor that is supposed to "officially" diagnose me (though I have been diagnosed "unofficially" 2 times already) and treat me for my condition, is the one doctor that won't treat me for it.

I am trying to wrap my head around that one.

I asked if I could do anything to be seen, and the lady told me that I can have my other medical records (from the dermatologist and pain management doctor) faxed to UCSF and the doctor would review my case again, and if there is potentially another illness (which is what I am trying to rule out, since fibro is usually accompanied with another autoimmune disease)than they will see me.

It's bananas.

So I called Amber at the clinic and left a lengthy message for her. She's the medical assistant who cared enough to aid me when my own primary nurse and her assistant dismissed me and ignored my calls. I had asked Amber if we should get those medical records sent too, since my most current ones at the clinic are from May, but she didn't think it was necessary.

It was necessary.

I also made an appointment with my primary nurse. The soonest isn't until November 9th, and I am almost positive that my experience with her will be the same. She is quite quick to dismiss me and does not listen. I have tried to see another primary... an actual doctor... but they will not ever let me. I am still going to try to get some current blood work done. I want to make sure I am still negative for lupus, check my inflammation, and other levels. Please pray she will allow me to get these tests done. It's like pulling teeth at this place.

I also called Kaiser and left a message for my old provider there. He was a great doctor, until I lost my Kaiser membership. That was an ordeal. I had gone in one morning to see him after being up all night in pain and vomiting, and when I saw him he was a complete jerk. No lie, no exaggeration. Because I no longer had the precious membership to the facility he dismissed me too, whereas before that he'd been super involved in helping me diagnose my ailments. So I have not talked to him or seen him since, but I am asking him for a copy of a letter he wrote when I was applying for the medical assistance program at Kaiser. The letter had to specifically state that I need long term care at a Kaiser facility. My purpose in requesting this is the hope that I can obtain a copy, and reapply. Maybe than I will be able to see a rheumatologist and rule out other conditions, and get proper treatment for the fibromayalgia.

I was at my lowest point a few days ago, and I am now at a point where I am looking up. I will not let this current NO dictate my day. I am going to focus on the positive and be grateful that I can utilize technology to leave messages and ask for things that could possibly aid me in the near future.
It would be far too easy to give in to feelings of discouragement and helplessness, but I say no to that junk, and am hoping and praying for better news tomorrow or soon.

I am also trying to figure out if I need to reapply for EBT. I was told when I went in that I do not, but it is supposed to expire in November. Since I am unable to work (except for caring for Mylie, but that is not my job, that is my life)it is very important that I continue receiving EBT.

So much going on, and so little energy to do it.

I actually slept a bit longer last night. My back has been in more pain than usual, and the fog is thick in my head. I am going to try to take a nap as I have been pushing myself these last few days on little sleep, and no energy.

Oh- my tv crutch has been rearing it's head. I've been battling it though. Last night I stumbled on a new channel called HUB. They are showing Family Ties and Wonder Years. I LOVE those shows, and it goes under Who's the Boss for all time favorites. :) So, thank goodness for classic 80's tv that is way more simple, a lot less vulgar, and that brings me comfort from my childhood when I feel so yucky.

Praying about:
-starting the book I've always wanted to write.
-I cannot find any fibro support groups that meet around here. Thinking of starting my own group/Bible study for chronic illnesses.
-possibly writing Worship songs.



:)
Until next time!

Deuteronomy 2:7
"For the LORD your God has blessed you in all that you have done; He has known your wanderings through this great wilderness. These forty years the LORD your God has been with you; you have not lacked a thing."'



Matthew 25:34-40 (New International Version)

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'